Published on 03/11/2017 by Brady

A slow ball that floats closer to the baseline is a great time to utilize a swinging volley. This is one of the most aggressive shots in tennis and therefore requires a good deal of commitment.

12 comments

• Declan 1 month ago

Great video! Been struggling with the floater for a while. Went out on court and the especially the open stance tips really helped me out. Able to be really aggressive now. Thanks!

• Brady
      Brady 1 month ago

Yep it’s much easier out of an open stance IMO. Keep it up!

• Joe 1 month ago

What grip or you using? Do you use the continental grip as you would in the case of a volley or your regular forehand grip?

• Brady
      Brady 1 month ago

Definitely stick with your normal forehand grip on the swing/drive volley.

• Allen White 1 month ago

I do this a lot, Brady, but just for the surprise effect. Now you’ve given me some purpose to the shot. Put it away if I can and be ready for an easy volley if my opponent gets a racquet on it. Thanks, Brady. Great lesson!

• Brady
      Brady 1 month ago

Much appreciated Allen!

• Dave 1 month ago

I would add that if you are hitting this shot with topspin the ball will really dip (more so than on a topspin groundstroke). Therefore, you really need to aim high over the net because if you don’t you will hit it into the net. You might do a future video on the bounce overhead from the baseline—another shot that is not practiced enough.

• Brady
      Brady 1 month ago

Thanks Dave! I’ve done bounce overhead but not in a while. Great recommendation!

• milivoj 1 month ago

how about if ball is lending just around the base line. would you still suggest to hit it with swinging volley ?!

• Brady
      Brady 1 month ago

Typically this would be a shot a little farther up in “no-man’s land”. If there is any question the ball might go long, of course you should take it off the bounce. However a lot will come down to your personal preference and your opponent’s position.

• Jim Scholtz 1 month ago

Great advise as always Brady. I only see clear blue sky and trees – any forest fires in your area? Stay safe. Jim S.

• Brady
      Brady 1 month ago

We filmed this before the fires broke out, but so far we’ve been lucky enough to stay away from them so far. Crazy though!