Published on 11/01/2017 by Brady

Do you have to pronate on your serve? If you want anything more than minimal racket head speed, the answer is a resounding yes. Find out why in today’s lesson with Brady.

16 comments

• IÑAKI GONZALEZ 1 month ago

Thanks a lot Brady. I have never taken a tennis lesson and yet my strongest game it’s the service. And after this lesson I’m noticing an improvement. Not only the service is more solid but more effective too. I’ll keep watching you.
    Greetings from Spain

• Brady
      Brady 1 month ago

Happy to help Inaki! The serve is the most important shot in tennis–good that it’s your strongest shot.

• Seelan 1 month ago

Very true been practicing my serve a lot with a waiver serve trust me it doesn’t work now I been practicing just how you mention in the video getting some power .thanks for your input
    Really appreciate it

• Brady
      Brady 1 month ago

Happy to help Seelan. Keep it up!

• LV 1 month ago

Thanks a lot Brady for getting back!! That is awesome. Well, to follow up, where then comes the direction difference from if the movement is equal. I mean deuce/ad is a different ball trajectory. How do you steer the tennisball into the right direction. Greetings, Luís

• Brady
      Brady 1 month ago

That is more dictated by your stance–more open on the deuce side, closed on the ad side (assuming you’re right-handed). Your racket angle at contact is the most critical factor that determines where your serve will go. Even a slice serve should have significant pronation but the racket face doesn’t get as square at contact in comparison to a flat serve.

Here’s a previous video I did that may help in aiming the serve: http://www.dailytennislesson.com/video/aiming-the-serve-accuracy/

• George Oberlander 1 month ago

I’m no fan of the waiter’s serve but recently I saw a guy with excellent groundstrokes and volleys who pounded his waiter’s serve. I also play against a guy with a waiter’s serve who gets pretty good pace (for a club player) with the waiter’s serve.

Wouldn’t the bigger issue with the waiter’s serve be the impossibility of a slice or kick motion? And I rarely see a waiter serve motion produce topspin.

• Brady
      Brady 1 month ago

Yes it’s certainly more difficult to hit slice or kick as well. And there are a handful of players that have gotten the most out of their waiters tray serves…but even they would benefit in the long term to changing their technique. Even slice and kick serves need racket speed which is what pronation promotes.

• arthur dasian 1 month ago

thank you so much of the free tuturial video, i’m still in process of learning the pronation. I do believe it is a good arsenal for every tennis players to have a good serve and overhead. I will keep on following your instructions and I do hope soon I can improve the way play and will surely impart your lessons with young kids who are playing tennis in our community.

• Stewart 1 month ago

Understand the need to pronate, but looking at Sampras, and others, he goes beyond palm down, and appears to externally rotate his upper arm until palm faces side netting.
    Should we be attempting to copy?

• Brady
      Brady 1 month ago

Good question Stewart. Yes if you naturally pronate you will should go past palm down. If you look closely you’ll see my racket face ends up briefly facing the opposite direction at the end of my pronation.

• Paul Majorsky 1 month ago

Brady,
    something is wrong with your website.
    I have signed up at least 3 times for th free “Master the Kick Serve” Video and have not received it in my e-mail inbox

• Paul Majorsky 1 month ago

Brady,
    Something is wrong with your website. I have signed up for the free master the kick serve video at least 5 times and have never received it in my e-mail inbox

• Brady
      Brady 1 month ago

It shows that you signed up the course in May, so the system won’t send it to you again. Go to https://www.dtlprime.com and there you can watch the course again in it’s entirety. Better experience overall too. Thanks!

• LV 1 month ago

Brady do you pronate differently for the two serve sides (regular vs deuce court? in terms of how the hand rolls / how far it pronates? I mean how does the hand move after contact. All the way to the side so the racket is again out of the waiter position?

• Brady
      Brady 1 month ago

Yes pronation is the same on Deuce and Ad.