Published on 12/17/2017 by Brady

One of the most common mistakes at the recreational level is hitting the ball to flat. Fortunately, Brady’s got a quick fix for adding more spin to your groundstrokes in his today’s daily lesson.

17 comments

• Diego 1 month ago

Excellent. I remember Yours excellents videos about MODERN FOREHAND TECHNIQUE.

• Brady
      Brady 1 month ago

Much appreciated Diego!

• Diego 1 month ago

Excelent! I remeber yours 5 videos no more & no less about MODERN FOREHAND TECHNIQUE

• Tim 1 month ago

Great reminder Brady. I am using the loop more often now on regular forehands. I am not as pronounced on the return of serve because of time restrictions. But I do know that early preparation is the key and I start my loop as soon as I know it is a forehand and it has really created more consistency in my shots. It only creates a timing issue mentioned above when I start my preparation late. Again, thanks for the reminder.

• Brady
      Brady 1 month ago

Happy to help Tim…and definitely limit your backswing on a first serve return. Totally different stroke.

• Don swanson 1 month ago

Brady. I found that beginners learning forehands with big high loop can hit with topspin, but develop tremendous timing problems. They can rally well with uniform returns. Short balls, slices, wide balls, fast balls, spinning serves cause errors.

• Brady
      Brady 1 month ago

For beginners learning technique is more important than timing. Timing will come with practice. Anticipating short balls, slices, etc is never easy for someone first learning the game.

• Takashi Shiraishi 1 month ago

I realised top spin makes the stroke more stable and help to aviod the net. Thank you.

• Brady
      Brady 1 month ago

An absolute MUST Takashi. Thanks for commenting!

• RooHa 1 month ago

You are wise and tall

• Brady
      Brady 1 month ago

I usually get just the tall part. I’ll take it–thanks!

• Edward Gaddi 1 month ago

I’m using eastern grip for my forehand most of the time and now trying to learn switching to semi-western forehand to for more topspin. Is this okay? Thanks.

• Brady
      Brady 1 month ago

An eastern can create plenty of topspin but you’ll likely be able to hit more with a semi-western. However topspin is achieved by having the proper racket, not by simply changing your grip.

• Lance Lessler 1 month ago

I had been wondering why I should bring the racket back high to make a rounder loop and now you have explained it. Bringing the racket straight back seemed more efficient. But, now I see that it requires a separate step to lower the racket after bringing it back if I want to get the racket below the ball. Bringing the racket back in a rounder loop means can get the racket lower without having to lower the racket as a separate step. Thanks, Brady!

• Brady
      Brady 1 month ago

Good recap Lance. If you’re in search of more topspin I definitely recommend giving it a try!

• Nadya 1 month ago

great advice! Thank you dear coach! And that motion is very beautiful and full of natural freedom of movement and speed.

• Brady