Published on 01/28/2018 by Brady

One of the more common scenarios that you’ll need to respond to a faster pace ball is when you’re at the net, which for some can feel intimidating. In today’s lesson, Brady demonstrates how to hold your ground and handle a powerful struck ball at the net.

22 comments

• John 3 weeks ago

Thanks Brady. When I play doubles against guys that are similar in level to me, one of my go to shots, especially on the serve return, first or second serve, especially second, would be to target the net guy center mass. I sort of expected that you would teach the extended racket and then volley block, maybe backhand instead of forehand, I guess that’s for another situation. For your example of a hard hit ball though, would you recommend a slight shoulder turn or is there no time for that?

• Brady
      Brady 3 weeks ago

Shoulder turn is outdated and not really coached on volleys anymore. You only need as much turn out of your upperbody to get your racket in position, no more. Focus on being as efficient as possible which definitely helps on these faster hit balls.

• MPCalvert 3 weeks ago

I always enjoy your videos. Great instruction!!

• Brady
      Brady 3 weeks ago

Thanks MP!

• Alex 3 weeks ago

Very good advice – firm grip with stable body… and I’ve always liked your teaching style, practical and to the point.

• Brady
      Brady 3 weeks ago

Thanks Alex–that’s what I strive for.

• Tom Turner 3 weeks ago

Excellent and clear explanation Brady.
    The transition from a loose grip to a firm grip is hard to understand particularly for
    those of us who inadvertently take a “death grip” on the racket as we get close to the net!
    Thanks
    Tom T.

• Brady
      Brady 3 weeks ago

Grip pressure is incredibly important on the volley and not talked about enough. Thanks Tom!

• Rolando Muzzolini 3 weeks ago

Good stuff, well done, thank you Brady

• Brady
      Brady 3 weeks ago

Much appreciated Rolando!

• Tom Willoughby 3 weeks ago

Brady’s comments are excellent. Additionally, if I feel I am a “target” at the net – something that happens, as a Super Senior more and more against younger players – I may sneak a bit closer to the net to make the geometry between the net and the baseline a bit more to my advantage. Also, I make sure I have the racquet well out in front of me to cut down reaction time.

• Brady
      Brady 3 weeks ago

Keep it up Tom–show those kids who’s boss!

• Douglas Waddington 3 weeks ago

I always feel awkward and uncertain on how to react, I know the ball will be a fast crosscourt, but I have always problem about beeng quick enough at the net. Staying loose is probably the right state of mind to be in, but would love to get a good advice on how to think, how to react, and most of all to get there, how to train a 53 year old bloke to get quick enough. Thanks a lot Brady, I follow your dayly lessons every time your on.

• Brady
      Brady 3 weeks ago

Thanks for your comment Douglas. I always stress early preparation and being super efficient at the net. Prepare early and then see how little you can do to still get your racket in position to make good contact. Good luck and thanks for watching my videos!

• Moses Kimani Gitau 3 weeks ago

I like the way you explain your coaching.

• Brady
      Brady 3 weeks ago

Thanks for watching Moses!

• Emiliano 3 weeks ago

Brady, as I have already stated previously, I like your way of explaining the lessons and the way you teach techniques, you are my favored “virtual Coach”. Thank you

• Brady
      Brady 3 weeks ago

Appreciate that Emiliano!

• Gary 3 weeks ago

A fast ball at the net “can feel intimidating”. Especially when your tennis experience includes being hit squarely in the gonads while standing close to the net trying to volley. Any advice to get over that well-founded fear ? Thanks in advance.

• Brady
      Brady 3 weeks ago

Prepare early and wear a cup 🙂

• Mike 3 weeks ago

What do you do if the ball is hit at your waistline with a lot of pace while at the net?

• Brady
      Brady 3 weeks ago

Typically you don’t see too low balls that are hit with pace since it has to clear the net. You would play it the same way but, if needed, SLIGHTLY opening the racket face to get the ball over the net. Regardless your ball should not clear the net by much or it will sail long.